The first thing you need to do in order to create a website is to make sure you find an appropriate domain name and a reliable web hosting service. You have to be careful when deciding what services to choose, as this can play a big role on the overall performance of your website (stability, speed, up-time…). We will show you exactly where to find the best deals as we go along.
In case you are not familiar with the terms above, a domain name is the primary address of your website, also known as the URL (www.example.com). It is essential to understand that the domain itself (although an important part of the website) does not represent the actual website. Instead, it only serves as a pointer as to where your site is currently located.
This is where the hosting service comes in. Hosting service provides you with the web-space necessary to support your content. It serves as a skeleton for your site.
After you’ve successfully set up your domain name and web hosting service (takes about 15 minutes), it all comes down to configuring your website. We will be using a free CMS platform called WordPress. It is a very simple platform that enables users to build professional looking websites within minutes!
We’ve already mentioned that you have to be careful when registering a domain name. Why? Well… many visitors get their first impression about the website based on your domain name. This is why you want to make sure your domain name:
a) Is relevant to the content of your website,
b) Is simple & easy to remember (preferably a catchy phrase),
c) Is short and descriptive
d) Has the right extension (.com, .org, or .net)
Your domain name also plays a big role in the search engines. For example, when someone uses Google to search for ‘dog training tips’, a website whose domain contains these exact words has a much bigger chance of appearing in the search results for that particular term. Also, users are more likely to click through to a website that has its URL relevant to the phrase they were searching for.
Hope this makes sense, now let’s get rolling!
1) The first thing you will need to do is to decide who to use as your domain registrar. Personally I use and recommend Godaddy.com the worlds #1 domain registrar. So to get started, click on this link: http://www.godaddy.com
You should land at a page offering you to search for available domains and purchase them. That’s exactly what we’re here to do.
The domain name search box should look something like this:
2) Type in the desired URL and hit GO to check if it is available! You will most likely end up with plenty of different URLs available for purchase, as shown below:
This is good, however, we are only interested in the ones with .com, .org or .net extensions, as these have been proven to rank best in the search engines.
3) If your domain is available, check the small box next to it, and click continue to registration. You will be asked if you wish to purchase additional extensions for your domain, just click – No, Thanks! (unless you feel an irresistible urge to do so…)
4) You will then be taken through a registration process that is quite simple to follow. You’ll be offered few different payment methods, as well as an option to choose how long you wish to purchase the domain for. We recommend you select 1 year registration length, as it can be easily renewed at any time in the future.
Important: You will also be offered to choose between multiple privacy protection services, as well as web hosting services – we suggest you decline all of these for now, especially the web hosting option!
Godaddy is a powerful domain register, and although they do offer web hosting, I prefer to use a separate company for hosting. (explained in the next step).
Once you’re done purchasing, you will be sent a receipt with all the important information in it. It is a good idea to save this receipt, you might need it later.
Your domain will be ready for use within 24 hours, usually much sooner.
5) You are now a proud owner of your brand new domain! Congratulations!